teapot1

teapot1

Thursday, January 3, 2013


One Word for 2013: Renewal

 
While thinking about how to write a New Year post and to celebrate one year of blogging, I came across the One-Word Challenge.

 
The challenge is to choose just one word to describe what you want this year to be. So here is my word for 2013:

Image by Melanie at Only a Breath



After five difficult years that began with my brother’s death and culminated in the loss of my mother in August, I feel the need to renew my life, my spirit, my peace of mind, my health, you name it. I’ve been looking forward to this year to do that, but until now I hadn’t wrapped it up in a single word. I think this one is perfect.

 
At the most stressful times during caregiving for my mother, I found strength in knowing that it couldn’t last forever, that someday I would be able to breathe easily again, to be free from worry about her; at the time I felt a little guilty and selfish about those feelings. But I knew I would need to find renewal and new purpose once my life was no longer entwined with hers. In the days after she passed, I had a sense of calm and peace in knowing that she was safe now and that I had done well by her. Now that the months since have given me some solace and perspective, my hope for this year is to extend that sense of peace and to return to finding the core of loves, interests, and maybe even talents that define me to myself.
 
I’ll write more about this tomorrow. In the meantime, I invite you to visit the link given above and consider choosing one word to define the year 2013 for yourself! When you find one, visit  Melanie, and she will generously make you a beautiful button like mine with your very own word on it!
 
And please feel free to share your words here.
A happy and successful New Year to you all!
 

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely word and your reason for using it. Good luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic word. I shall make it my mantra, because I'd like to renew my lust for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Michael! I think it's a great mantra. Best of luck to you!

      Delete
  3. Eloquently put Elaine and so perfect for you. I'd have to go with...Honesty. best of luck to your endeavors in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, that's also a great word. I can't imagine you being anything else. And thank you for your lovely words! (Wow, your comment actually showed up!)

      Delete
  4. Now commenting from computer, hope it works. You have certainly had a bad time over the last few years. As your friend, one thing that I have noticed is that you are very lucky in having a partner that is caring, loving and supportive. You and Tim are a great couple and everyday I am grateful that you and he got together.

    My word (if I were to use only one) would be friendships. I want to try to strengthen mine over this year with the great people that sacrifice to be my friends.

    Another great post of course.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam, this is so sweet. I know that I am very lucky to have Tim--he's been a rock for me. I like your word, too--but I don't think I've "sacrificed"! You've done a lot for me in the 40(?!) years we've known each other.

      Delete
  5. I've missed you; feel you haven't been around? Or maybe I haven't been -- still dealing with issues wiht my own mother. ANd I do have days when I have those same selfish feelings but lately the feelings are more ominous, complete dread of how my life will feel so empty without her. How I will cope. SOme days I'm just not so sure. But I am happy for your anticipation of renewal. You have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great word. Renewal and new beginnings are always refreshing. Wish you all the very best for 2013.

    Here's my word.

    http://suzysomedaysomewhere.blogspot.co.nz/2013/01/ubc-day-4-my-one-word-for-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you every blessing this coming year! May 2013 truly be a year of renewal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful word filled with hope for the new year. May 2013 give you the peace of mind you have been craving and the renewal you need. ♥

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can identify with a lot of what you say. Can I use this in my blog??

    ReplyDelete