teapot1

teapot1

Friday, January 2, 2015




How to Be Happier

What things can you do to make yourself happier? And can you make each one a habit in your life?

 
My favorite psychology blogger, Dr. Jeremy Dean at PsyBlog, regularly shares findings from the latest psychological research. In one post, he discussed ten actions that have been shown to make people happier.  

 Today I share his list in hopes that all of us learn these habits of mind and action.

 
1. Giving. Doing things for others.

2. Relating to other people. Making and maintaining connections.

3. Exercising. Taking care of your body.

4. Appreciating the world around you.

5. Trying,  learning new things.

6. Having direction, goals that are important to you, things to look forward to.

7. Resilience. Being able to find ways to bounce back from misfortunes.

8. Emotion. Taking a positive approach to life.

9. Acceptance. Being comfortable with who you are and what you have.

10. Meaning. Being part of something bigger than yourself.

I would make my own addition to this list: having a pet. Sharing your love with an animal and receiving their devotion can make your entire day happier and add meaning to your life.

Over the next ten days, as part of the UBC January challenge, I’ll post on each of these ideas individually, relating my own experiences and hopefully helping you to make these things habits in your own life.

 

5 comments:

  1. Love this list, and especially love (and agree with) your addition of having a pet. Our pets have brought SO much happiness to our lives! Looking forward to reading your future happiness posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know, Laurel. Our Honey is such a delight to us. I can't imagine life without her. Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Elaine and I love that you have a favorite psychology blogger! Can't wait to see what place each of these has in your life. Super idea for a blog run and I am sure will be quite helpful to a lot of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine I like your list giving back the first word on your list should be practice daily and is a noble thing to do, unfortunately, not everyone see this. Your list is correct that these words if impliment can help someone lead happy and fulfilling life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need help with happiness, so this list is great. I know exercise really does help, but it has been cold!!

    ReplyDelete