teapot1

teapot1

Monday, April 30, 2012




Z           Zinnias
 After twenty-five days of sad and depressing posts, I want to send all my loyal readers a beautiful bunch of flowers:







My mother’s favorite flower is the gladiolus, and it’s become mine, too; but I also love the brightly colored, happy-faced zinnia, with its center surrounded by yellow stars. I just throw a few handfuls of seed into my garden, and they come up to brighten my day. Enjoy.






















And now it’s time to zone out and let my poor blog (and its author) catch some Zzzzzzs for a while before I turn into a zombie. It’s been a frantic, sometimes difficult, but rewarding month. It’s been good for me to write about and share my experiences of the past few years, and I hope I’ve been able to convey some sense of what a special person my mother was and is. I also hope I’ve been able to provide some support to others who are struggling with dementia in a loved one.



I thank everyone who’s taken the time to read and comment on this blog. I appreciate all your thoughts and compassion and in some cases commiseration. The journey through dementia is a very difficult one, but being able to share so much of it has helped considerably. This group has been wonderful. Now that the chaotic month is over, I hope to go back and catch up on so many of your posts that I haven’t been able to read till now. I think we have all done a fantastic job, so let’s raise a glass of zinfandel and give each other a toast!



14 comments:

  1. A lovely way to end the challenge. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congartulations for the end of the challenge, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers and thank you for the bright and colourful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last flower is stunning! I will join in your zinfandel toast to celebrate the end of the challenge!

    Hugs to you & your beautiful mom!

    Lisa, Random Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, It’s been a honor to have you share the journey you and your mom are on. The flowers are lovely and I will toast you with a glass of wine this evening with dinner. I am glad it’s done, but am also glad for your encouragement to undertake this challenge to begin with. I would not have done it without that and I would have missed out on an overall very positive experience, both personally and with my writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. for the record, I haven't found this at all depressing. I have found great comfort. Maybe because we're in similar places. Anyway, looking forward to what you post next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing the challenge! I have really appreciated all of your posts and the fact that you were willing to share your stories and experience. Thank you for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really enjoyed your blog. Thank you for sharing your unique thoughts and writing style. Aren't Zinnias the best?! They are one of the most friendly flowers I know. Congratulations on finishing the challenge. This was my first year and I really enjoyed meeting new bloggers like you. Visit sometime!

    www.dianeweidenbenner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post! I love zinnias. Congratulations on completing the challenge. ♥

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing depressing on these pages, a lot of realism and a lot of heart. I have learned much of your mother's character and your strength and love for her.
    Thank YOU for sharing and bringing me back day after day...you're an amazing woman with an amazing mom. How nice for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post... take a few zzzzzz's, then triumph once again...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the happy-faced zinnias. Thanks for sharing. And congrats for finishing the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on completing the challenge! I'm playing catch-up, too, and hope to get to those of yours that I missed. Your writing is so full of heart that coming here is always a privilege. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on finishing the challenge and I loved your blogs. I did not feel depressed reading them, I felt the love you have for you mum. She sounds lovely.
    I have just joined your site and will continue to visit.
    This was my first blog challenge and I have really enjoyed reading all the blogs so far.

    ReplyDelete